Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Tintin republished in Indonesia by another publisher

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Misdianto
#1 · Posted: 10 Apr 2008 03:42
Yesterday, finally I can found the new republishing Tintin in Indonesian Language by Gramedia as the publisher. As all Tintin Fans in Indonesia, usually they got the Indonesian version published by Indira.This Indira's version is just like the other comics of Asterix in the size of the books, quite big and not handy enough to read and carry. The republishing by Gramedia, it's smaller than the Indira's but I think it's more convenient to carry and read.

Next, when I start reading it, the translation of the name of Tintin's dogs from Milou to Milo, it's a bit annoying to me. I'd rather we use the same names as the French version. For other characters I have no idea, since I had not finished reading the first one, Tintin in Soviet.

The one that I admire, the name of the newspaper "The Vingtieme" is not change, which is this is on how I like it.
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 10 Apr 2008 09:16
Misdianto wrote:
I start reading it, the translation of the name of Tintin's dogs from Milou to Milo, it's a bit annoying to me. I'd rather we use the same names as the French version. For other characters I have no idea, since I had not finished reading the first one, Tintin in Soviet.

When you have finished reading the other titles could you tell us how the other character names translate? I would be interested to know.
rackhammerah
#3 · Posted: 10 Apr 2008 11:54
Harrock n roll wrote:
When you have finished reading the other titles could you tell us how the other character names translate? I would be interested to know.

I might be able to help a bit there Harrock. However, only 6 albums are being issued in this first batch, so my list is definitely incomplete.

Here are our main characters translated by the new publisher:

Tintin - Tintin
Milou - Milo
Haddock - Haddock
Tournesol - Lakmus

Supporting cast also translated in new names, most likely to follow the french edition. Once all albums are published, I can post some more.

Anyway, hopefully this is not out of topic, but in terms of shape and size, Gramedia's (new publisher) editions are uniquely different than the "normal" Tintin albums, sharing almost the same size as the Egmont's 3-in-1 album (or 2in1 and 4in1 for album no.1 and no.8), printed with glossy paper.

Oh, and they're published as in each title, not as in 3-in-1 compilation format.

Yay! Repeats!!
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 10 Apr 2008 14:02
rackhammerah wrote:
Tintin - Tintin
Milou - Milo
Haddock - Haddock
Tournesol - Lakmus

Thanks rackhammerah. I've never actually seen an Indonesian edition, but I've read that the old publishing used the English names for the characters (Calculus, Thompson & Thomson, etc). So these are new Indonesian names?

Lakmus: is that the same as Lacmus (or Litmus) in English? Interestingly, he has the same surname in Russian. Trufon Lakmus.
rackhammerah
#5 · Posted: 11 Apr 2008 04:48
You're welcome Harrock, and you are correct indeed. The old publisher did adapt the names from the English editions (Calculus, Thompson & Thomson, Snowy, or even Jolyon Wagg).

Perhaps due to different contracts (please correct me if I'm wrong), old publisher with Methuen or Eggmont, and new publisher with Casterman-Moulinsart, the new publisher uses the french names for most of the characters and modifies the rest (like Lakmus).

I personally regret that there will be a generation gap or a 'missing link' between us the "English translation" generation and the next "French translation" generation though.

Interesting fact about Lakmus, I assume it is the same as in Lacmus or Litmus paper, although I haven't seen any connection between 'Lacmus' and 'Tournesol'. Should I open a new thread? :)
jock123
#6 · Posted: 11 Apr 2008 07:13
rackhammerah wrote:
I haven't seen any connection between 'Lacmus' and 'Tournesol'. Should I open a new thread? :)

No need - it has been touched on here!
rackhammerah
#7 · Posted: 11 Apr 2008 08:40
jock123 wrote:
No need - it has been touched on here!

Okay! Thanks Jock!

I've always thought that Tournesol means Sunflower :)
jock123
#8 · Posted: 11 Apr 2008 21:10
rackhammerah wrote:
I've always thought that Tournesol means Sunflower :)

Me too!
Harrock n roll
#9 · Posted: 12 Apr 2008 21:49
jock123 wrote:
Me too!

Me too, too!
Well, I suppose Tournesol means Litmus and Sunflower in French. I guess Hergé intended both, knowing his passion for double entendres in names! (Actually, strictly speaking, would it be a double entendre? Or does a pun have to be involved?)

rackhammerah wrote:
The old publisher did adapt the names from the English editions (Calculus, Thompson & Thomson, Snowy, or even Jolyon Wagg).

I'd be interested to know how closely the whole translation was adapted from the English editions, but I think that might be a question for another thread, or we'll end up completely off-topic!

rackhammerah wrote:
I personally regret that there will be a generation gap or a 'missing link' between us the "English translation" generation and the next "French translation" generation though.

Hang on to your English-based editions, rackhammerah! You might be able to sell them to the "French translation" generation of Tintin fans in 50 years time at a good profit!
rackhammerah
#10 · Posted: 14 Apr 2008 01:26
Harrock n roll wrote:
I'd be interested to know how closely the whole translation was adapted from the English editions, but I think that might be a question for another thread, or we'll end up completely off-topic!

That would be interesting! I thought main characters' names are actually described and translated in different language somewhere on this site?

I was just done reading the last one of new translation albums, the L’Oreille Cassée, or The Broken Ear, where Thompson and Thomson became Dupont and Dupond.

Minor difference, the English edition was translated into "Patung Kuping Belah" or "The Statue with Broken Ear". The French-based became "Si Kuping Belah", or "The Broken Ear" only, without "the statue".

Harrock n roll wrote:
Hang on to your English-based editions, rackhammerah! You might be able to sell them to the "French translation" generation of Tintin fans in 50 years time at a good profit!

Hahaha! Thanks for the splendid idea Harrock! Very speculative!
I have several repeats in both English and Indonesian (old publisher's) to spare, but the old publisher's earlier prints (1970s) have much better paper quality and prints compared to the latest editions before the publisher switch, so I'm going to hang on to those!

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!