Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Foreign languages in Tintin: "Dog on parachute"...?

Olliephant
#1 · Posted: 27 Apr 2004 21:35
Hi, I've just joined the memberlist. My name's Ollie.
I have been re-reading my Tintin's recently for the umpteenth time when it dawned on me that there is alot written in many of the stories which I am not actually able to read.
I would say there are a total of 25/30 frames throughout all the Tintin stories which have comments made by minor characters in totally foreign languages.
For instance, what are the cart drivers in King Ottokar's Sceptre talking about on pages 24/25? I'm assuming 'Czesztot on klebcz' means 'dog on parachute', but what about 'Czestot wzryzkar nietz on vaghabontz! ...Czestot batczer yhzer kzommetz noh dascz politzski?...'?!! Obviously one gets a jist about what is being said here but it gets tougher... What is the Beard of the prophet gunman's curse on page 32 of Golden Claws? What does the (obviously political) graffitti and poster behind Tintin say on pages 8/9 of Blue Lotus? And what I would love to know is the oath uttered by the rickshaw driver whose path has been crossed by Gibbons on p. 6 of Lotus?!
I really could go on with many others but I am sure you know what I mean!!! Anyone able to shed light?
Thanks (and great website!)
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#2 · Posted: 27 Apr 2004 21:40
My name's Oliver too ! :) Have you seen the Syldavian Grammar site (http://www.zompist.com/syldavian.html) ? That might be able to help you with the Syldavian passages at least ...

- OLIVER -
Olliephant
#3 · Posted: 27 Apr 2004 21:43
Hi Oliver!
That's a good idea!... But what about eg. Arabian/ Mandarin (Cantonese?) swear words?!
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#4 · Posted: 27 Apr 2004 22:00
I'm sorry ... but that's the only link I can think of off the top of my head ... Have you tried various TINTIN fan sites ?

However, I may be able to help you with something !

The Red Sea Sharks

'A Debate In Yoruba' - from The Adventures of Tintin At Sea

The pilgrims being transported aboard the Ramona speak Yoruba. Hergé asked an African correspondant to translate (p. 51 frame 1) ...

(from left to right)

'And me, I tell you the white man is right !'

'Yes !'

'No !'

'It's true !'

I hope that's of some help !
Olliephant
#5 · Posted: 27 Apr 2004 22:19
Yeah that's good, thanks!
I'm going to that exhibition soon so I will pick up that book. Is it a worth while collection? It sounds fantastic.
Meanwhile I will try and translate some of these other quotes... Just thought of another one (in Red Sea Sharks actually) on p. 28 when Haddock gets a face full of porridgey stuff followed by Arabic abuse!! (One of my favorite Tintin scenes, I love his reply and the flicking the stuff off his hand!...second only to that fantastic sequence in Tibet where Haddock is attempting to whistle)
marsbar
#6 · Posted: 28 Apr 2004 00:22
Welcome to our community, Ollie.

What does the (obviously political) graffitti and poster behind Tintin say on pages 8/9 of Blue Lotus? And what I would love to know is the oath uttered by the rickshaw driver whose path has been crossed by Gibbons on p. 6 of Lotus?!

I really could go on with many others but I am sure you know what I mean!!! Anyone able to shed light?

Do take a look at the trivia section of our guide on The Blue Lotus. If you need further help with the Chinese text, just let me know.
Harrock n roll
#7 · Posted: 29 Apr 2004 16:51
For an in-depth study of the Syldavian language I draw your attention to this webpage by Mark Rosenfelder.

Here's another translation I came across - In Tintin in Tibet, Haddock collides with a sherpa who gives as good as he gets in Hindi...

Page 11 - "What sir?! Can't you see what's in front of you?"
Page 14 - "What? You again?"

Off topic now, but any Tintin fans visiting Beijing may like to drop in here...
GurraJG
#8 · Posted: 3 May 2004 19:04
What does the (obviously political) graffitti and poster behind Tintin say on pages 8/9 of Blue Lotus?

Now, with the new translations of the books in Swedish, they have also included such things as posters, foreign languages and such. So, now I finally will be able to understand the Russian from Tintin in the Land of the Soviets. But, for The Blue Lotus: (translated from Chinese to Swedish the English) Red Sign: It's good to be skillfull, but what does it help when you are sick? Graffitti: Long live Democracys Three Principals! Green Sign: Posting of signs Forbiden.

And, soon enough (in 2 months), when King Ottokars Sceptre comes out in Swedish, we'll see what they say...

Moderator Note: See also Tintin & Co: Babelfish swimming around in their heads?

This topic is closed.